Tell us about something you’ve tried to quit. Did you go cold turkey, or for gradual change? Did it stick?
I am hopelessly, horribly addicted to Dr. Pepper. I
really don’t know what it is about the stuff. I mean, I like the taste of it and as an insomniac I’m never opposed to a little extra caffeine.
At the same time, I hate being addicted to the stuff. I’ve already gained a lot of weight because of it, and not to mention it’s terrible for my teeth. I get twitchy if I haven’t had any, and I have honest to god withdrawals. I hate feeling dependent on it.
I’ve tried to quit several times now, in various ways. Sometimes I go for the cold turkey approach, sometimes I go for the gradual let-down. They all work to varying degrees.
The most recent time I tried to quit (apart from my current attempt) I cut myself off cold turkey. I managed to make it six months without slipping up, and during that time I lost seventeen pounds. Then I took a new job that reversed my hours on me and I started drinking soda again to keep myself awake.
At the moment I’m trying to quit again, this time by the gradual method. So far I’ve managed to cut my Dr. Pepper consumption down to about 1/8th of what I used to drink in a day so I’m feeling pretty good. We’ll see how well it actually works…
For now, I’m going to finish drinking my soda.
- Daily Prompt: Happy Endings (dailypost.wordpress.com)
- Daily Prompt: Happy Endings/Not So Sure How Happy the Endings Are (jlroeder.wordpress.com)
- Daily Prompt: Happy Endings (ianchale.wordpress.com)
- Daily Prompt: Happy Endings (tnkerr.wordpress.com)
- Daily prompt: Happy endings, ending happiness – take your pick (helenmeikle.wordpress.com)
- Daily Prompt: Happy Endings (adorablyobnoxious.wordpress.com)
- Daily prompt: Happy Endings (agent909.wordpress.com)
- Almost Cold Turkey. (hopethehappyhugger.wordpress.com)
- Cold Turkey (kate0murray.wordpress.com)
- Daily Prompt: Being a Quitter! (allthingscuteandbeautiful.wordpress.com)