You’ve been kidnapped and given a choice: would you rather be stranded on an island, dropped into an unknown forest, or locked in a strange building?
Now I don’t know about you guys, but for me this one was actually a pretty easy decision. If I get a say in the matter, I would definitely go with the strange building.
See, I rationalise it like this:
If you choose the island, you’re pretty much screwed. Your chances of survival are rather slim; even if you’re an outdoorsy person, there’s no saying just how much there is on the island in the way of plants or animals. And you’re definitely not going anywhere unless you’re the world’s strongest swimmer. Your best chance of escape relies entirely on the hope that a cruise liner happens to pass by your little spit of land.
Now the odds are a little better with the forest. You’re still outside and separated from civilisation, but at least the chances for food and water – and shelter – are better. It’s also the only one where you’re not constrained in any way, which is a bonus. The downside is that your chances of being able to get out of the forest, depending on its size, are still pretty questionable. I don’t know if you’ve ever tried to walk a straight line without a path to guide you and no visible landmarks, but it’s not exactly a walk in the park – pun intended.
Which leaves us with the building. Now you’re locked in, but as someone who has experience in this I can tell you that it’s not entirely difficult to pick locks. Worst comes to worst, you break the door handle off with some loose debris or a couple good kicks. Either way might take a while, but it’s still better than swimming across the ocean or hiking through the forest for hours. Less exhausting too, most likely. There’s no guarantee but logic says that the majority of the time, buildings equal civilisation. You might be on the outskirts of town, in an abandoned town, or even a warehouse in the middle of nowhere, but buildings are made by people. If there’s not another building or people nearby, there’ll at least be a road to follow.
So all three situations suck, obviously, but if my captors are giving me an option then I pick the building.
- Daily Prompt: Captive’s Choice (dailypost.wordpress.com)
- Day 19 of 365: A Captive’s Choice (wannysblog.wordpress.com)
- Daily Prompt: Captive’s Choice (incidentsofadysfunctionalspraffer.wordpress.com)
- Captive’s Choice (mandyblake95.wordpress.com)
- Captive’s Choice: Strange Building (deanzdoodlez.com)
- Captive (activearmywife.wordpress.com)
- Kidnapped (dandelionsinwind.wordpress.com)
- Just have to time myself to match the flickering fluorescence… (thoughtsofrkh.wordpress.com)
- http://dailypost.wordpress.com/2014/01/19/daily-prompt-choice/ (pixieknucklecracker.wordpress.com)
- Captive’s Choice (flowersandbreezes.wordpress.com)